Vodafone brand evolves to reflect choice and freedom for customers
Refreshed branding to debut at Vodafone Gold Coast 600
Vodafone today announced an evolution of the Vodafone brand positioning globally and in Australia, reflecting its relentless focus on delivering customers’ connectivity, choice and freedom now and in the future. Rolling out progressively in Australia later this month, the changes include an update to Vodafone’s iconic ‘speech mark’ logo and new brand positioning.
The brand evolution is the first significant change to one of the world’s best-known brands since the introduction of the ‘Power to you’ brand positioning in 2009.
Vodafone Australia’s Consumer Business Director, Ben McIntosh, said the refresh of the Vodafone speech mark and new positioning, The Future is Exciting. Ready? represent how Vodafone continues to innovate for the future while delivering choice and freedom for customers.
“The wants and needs of our customers have changed, and with that we’ve changed too,” Mr McIntosh said. “We’ve evolved our products and services to give customers more choice and more freedom. From no lock-in contracts to personalised service, $5 roaming (where you can use your plan for $5 extra per day in selected countries) and the fresh approach we’ll bring to broadband – we’re making sure customers are at the centre of an exciting future.
“We challenge the status quo and push the boundaries to give people something that they won’t find anywhere else. This is a natural evolution for Vodafone that reflects our desire to disrupt traditional conventions and provide real change for the future.”
Vodafone will start rolling out the brand changes in Australia from 20 October at the iconic Vodafone Gold Coast 600 Supercars event. A progressive rollout will follow in-store and online in the coming months. This fresh take on the Vodafone brand will also make itself at home at Vodafone’s new flagship store on Sydney’s George Street, which is due to open its doors in coming weeks.
“As the ongoing increase in data use across the country shows, Australians have a strong appetite for technology and all of the positive changes it brings. With our global roots in innovation and the recent launch of industry-first products and offers locally, we’re excited about the future and how we can deliver value, choice and freedom for our customers,” Mr McIntosh said.
Notes to editors
The Vodafone brand timeline:
- One of the most recognised and valuable telecoms brands in the world with an attributed value of US$22 billion (Brand Finance, 2017 http://brandfinance.com/images/upload/global_500_2017_locked_website.pdf )
- The original Vodafone logo was created in 1985.
- The ‘Pegasus’ figure was added to the logo in 1993.
- The Vodafone ‘speech mark’ visual identity was created in 1998.
- The logo incorporated a SIM card from 2001.
- The ‘speech mark’ visual identity was first rendered in a 3D skeuomorphic design in 2005.
- ‘Power to you’ became Vodafone’s strapline in 2009.
- Vodafone worked with WPP agencies MEC, Santo, Brand Union and Kantar to develop its new brand positioning strategy.